In general , UNESCO Heritage sites are divided in two cultural & natural properties group all around the world . Nominated Sites must have outstanding universal value & require at least 1 out of 10 standards to be included on the list .
Standards of UNESCO’s inscriptions
These standards are described in the World Heritage UNESCO Convention’s Implementation Guidelines. standards are systematically revised by the Committee to reflect the development of the World Heritage concept .
Standards are explained as below :
- to represent a masterpiece of human creative genius;
- to exhibit an important interchange of human values ,over a span of time or within a cultural area of the world ,on developments in architecture or technology ,monumental arts ,town planning or landscape design.
- to support a unique or at least exceptional testimony to a cultural tradition or a civilization which is survived or disappeared.
- to be an outstanding example of a type of building ,architectural or technological ensemble or landscape which illustrates significant stage (s) in human history
- to be an outstanding example of a traditional human settlement, land-use ,or sea-use which represent a culture or human interaction with environment ,especially when it has become vulnerable under impact of irreversible change.
- to be directly or tangibly associated with events or living traditions ,with ideas, or with beliefs , with artistic and literary works of outstanding universal significance .
- contain superlative natural phenomena or areas of exceptional natural beauty & aesthetic importance .
- to be astonishing examples representing major stages of earth’s history ,including the record of life ,significant on-going geological processes in the development of landforms ,or significant geomorphic or physiographic features
- to be outstanding examples representing significant on-going ecological &biological processes in the evolution and development of terrestrial ,fresh water ,coastal and marine ecosystems & communities of plants and animals.
- contain the most important and significant natural habitants for in situ conservation of biological diversity ,including those containing threatened species of outstanding universal value from the point of view of science or conservation .
The protection ,management, authenticity & integrity of properties are also important consideration ,since 1992 significant interaction between people & natural environment have been recognized as cultural landscapes .
Iran’s UNESCO sites
List of Iranian’s cultural properties which have been inscribed on world Heritage site is counted as below.
- Armenian Monastic Ensembles of Iran (2008)
- Bam and its Cultural Landscape (2004)
- Bisotun (2006)
- Cultural Landscape of Hawraman/Uramanat (2021)
- Cultural Landscape of Maymand (2015)
- Golestan Palace (2013)
- Gonbad-e Qābus (2012)
- Historic City of Yazd (2017)
- Masjed-e Jāmé of Isfahan (2012)
- Meidan Emam, Esfahan (1979)
- Pasargadae (2004)
- Persepolis (1979)
- Sassanid Archaeological Landscape of Fars Region (2018)
- Shahr-i Sokhta (2014)
- Sheikh Safi al-din Khānegāh and Shrine Ensemble in Ardabil (2010)
- Shushtar Historical Hydraulic System (2009)
- Soltaniyeh (2005)
- Susa (2015)
- Tabriz Historic Bazaar Complex (2010)
- Takht-e Soleyman (2003)
- Tchogha Zanbil (1979)
- The Persian Garden (2011)
- The Persian Qanat (2016)
- Trans-Iranian Railway (2021)
Iran also has two natural properties in world heritage site which are as follow :
In total Iran has 26 world heritage site in 2022 so far . A Tentative List is an inventory of those properties which each State Party intends to consider for nomination and Alamut valley is on tentative list yet, it worth mentioning that Iran has more than 61 site on tentative list .